Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 1 Recap

May 3 was a beautiful day, and I got sunburned on my first day in Michigan. I got a chance to help my dad plant 100 Russian Olives, and starting prepping my garden. The next couple of days weren't quite as beautiful. There was a chill to the air, but at least it was sunny. I got some carrots, turnips, parsnips, radishes, beats, peas, potatoes, and onions sowed in the garden. I also started some broccoli, chamomile, cilantro, mint, basil, and sage in the greenhouse. The broccoli germinated within a couple of days, and I have a bunch of healthy looking seedlings. The chamomile germinated shortly after. The basil and cilantro are just now showing some signs of life. Nothing in the garden has sprouted up yet. Since those first couple of beautiful days we've had some nasty, cold, wet weather. On the morning of May 10 there was frost. That's probably slowing down the germination process. I thought I had some beets sprouted up, but then noticed similar looking sprouts in a handful of other rows, so it's probably just a weed. The germination process always makes me nervous, because I can't see what's going on. Almost everything in the garden right now is a root vegetable, and I'll be planting them throughout the year, so I've got all summer to get it right. If anything does grow, dad and I got the snow fence up to protect the veggies from the dear. We're still working on a plan to keep the rabbits out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment