Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dad's Bike Cont.

I got the parts for dad's bike last week. I bought the Park Tool FR-1 Freewheel Remover for Shimano Freewheels and the Shimano 7-Speed 13-28 Freewheel I pulled the old freewheel right off, and popped the new one on, and I thought it was going to be that easy. My first inclination that things were not going to be perfect was the tire rubbing against the gd v-brakes (which always give me hell). I thought I would deal with them later, and work on the task at hand. The chain was coming off the sprockets, so I used the barrel adjuster, and got the chain shifting through the range of gears without falling off. It was pedaling relatively smoothly, and shifting cleanly, so I thought I would give it a little test drive, and that's when I heard that god-awful noise; a grinding, squealing groan. I relubed the chain, repacked the rear hub, serviced the bottom bracket, and oiled the derailleur pulleys. Still making that noise. It only makes it when pedaling under load. I've spent hours on that thing, with little to show for it. I was pretty depressed by Thursday. Luckily, I had a nice productive weekend in the garden to help forget about it. I'm going to give it one more go sometime this week, and if I can't get it, I'll have to hand it over to Alpine cycles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment