Saturday, June 5, 2010

Two More Chickens

On Memorial Day, I went to the Marlette Stockyards, and picked up two more chickens. I was much happier with the selection this time. I immediately found two nice looking Isa Browns. According to the vendor, they're 11 months old, and have been laying regularly. I hope so, because I've been less than satisfied with the average production of the three hens I purchased a couple of weeks ago. My brood now consists of five hens and a mean little two-toed rooster. They've been averaging about an egg and a half a day. I finally got my first pale blue Aracauna egg after two and a half weeks.  The banty has been laying four or five a week, and the other hen has also been laying about four or five eggs a week. 
 
The Isas have been here about four days now, and I don't think they've laid any eggs yet, but they are such nice looking, well-adjusted birds that I'm expecting them to start laying pretty soon. Once the birds start producing up to their potential, I'd like to collect at least three eggs a day, but I'd be happy to get more. I know I have to be patient, because chickens can take a while to settle in after being transferred to a new location.  
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment