Thursday, June 24, 2010

Harvest Time

Even though I do enjoy all the work I do in the garden, it's the harvest that makes it all worth while. So far I've been able to grab a bunch of radishes here, a handful of peas there, or a few leaves of lettuce for a salad, but until today, I haven't been able to make a meal out of a harvest. I pulled out 9 turnips (about 3 pounds worth), and I still have a little over a dozen left (plus the seedlings I just planted).
I used them to cook braised and glazed turnips from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food. Like most of Bittman's recipes it's quite simple:
  • 2 tbs. butter/oil
  • 1 lbs. turnips
  • 1/2 c. vegetable stock
  • Salt & pepper
  • Lemon juice
  • Chopped parsley
Combine butter, turnips, stock, and S&P. Bring to a boil, turn it down and let it simmer until the turnips are tender (15-20 min.).

Uncover and raise the heat until almost all the liquid has boiled off. Turn off the heat and garnish with the lemon juice and chopped parsley.

0 comments:

Post a Comment