Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Starting to Produce

It's very satisfying to see a little production from the garden. So far, it's come in the form of a couple of veggies to snack on while I'm in the garden. I've eaten a handful of peas, and a few radishes. I planted radishes from two different seed packets. The Burpee radishes have been very uninspiring, with skinny little roots, but the package I bought from Lowes is producing some plump little radishes.
I'll probably harvest the rest of that row sometime this week and make a nice little salad. I still have a month or so before my staple vegetables start producing, but the reassurance offered by my early producers is comforting. I'm hoping my cool weather crops, like cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage start producing relatively soon. The plants certainly look healthy, and have been growing away.
 My potato plants won't be producing for a while, but they are looking very healthy. As they continue to grow, I will continue to mound straw up around them in order to protect the young taters from sun poisoning.
 My tomato and pepper transplants mostly look healthy, and I even have a few little maters growing. We've been getting a lot of rain around here, but I'm going to transplant my eggplants on the next warm sunny day we get. According to the weather, that could be tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment