Monday, July 19, 2010

New Fixie


I got a new frame for the fixed gear bike I put together for my brother. This steel Free Spirit frame is infinitely better than that Huffy piece of crap I was using before. I am glad I was using a cheap frame and throwaway components. I ran into a couple of problems I wasn't expecting. This really isn't going to be a long term bike for a couple of reasons. I somehow managed to cross-hread the drive-side bottom bracket. I should certainly know better than to put it in there with any force, but it was just sticking a little bit, and I tried it so many different times, and it took so little force. Once I found out it was cross-threaded; I just cranked it in there all the way as hard as I could, so the bottom bracket is now garbage, and the frame more or less is too. I mean, it's in there, and it's going to stay in there, but it will be unusable if it ever comes out, and the bottom bracket shell is ruined too, unless I could get it re-threaded. Another problem I had was with the non drive-side crank arm. I must not have tightened it down hard enough the first time, so it came out while Gabe was pedaling. Luckily, he wasn't going to fast. Online, a lot of people said that if it happens once it will continue to happen. I cranked it on there, and it seems to be on there fairly well, and it's been a month and a couple hundred miles, so hopefully, it's there to stay. I don't want to end on a negative note, because it's been a positive experience. I learned a lot, and my brother has a functioning bike. I can't wait to build my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment